Happy Christmas and a little update from us...
Posted on December 22, 2014 by Amy Tolmie
It's the end of another long term. Well done for surviving it, whether for you there were new programmes, schools and students, or it has been familiar territory doing more of the same. You may not hear 'well done' enough for the work you do, so well done and thank you for all the hours, days and weeks you have spent investing in your local schools this term (both the hours that were seen, and the many more that went unseen).
We hope you have space over the next few days to connect again with the deeper stuff of Christmas, be that joy, laughter, the love of friends or family and discovering something new God has for you in the Christmas story.
I'm writing this post listening to the Pentatonix version of 'Mary Did You Know?' (love the lyrics to this one) so I will share the joy with you so you can listen as you read...
It's been a fun, crazy and full year for us at schoolswork UK. You may or may not have noticed that we changed our name back in November by dropping the '.co', so we are now schoolswork UK and are still part of the wonderful word that is Youthscape (link below), based in Luton, Bedfordshire.
It has been a full year. Here are 5 highlights:
1. Working alongside our colleagues in Youthscape more intentionally, including a week's listening programme based on Ignatius principles with year 11 students in Luton.
2. We added to the schoolswork UK team by recruiting the wonderful Jenni Osborn to co-ordinate the Enable training course.
3. We saw the first group of students graduate from the Enable course, gowns and all, at a ceremony in the Emmanuel Chapel in London.
4. We spoke and exhibited at 13 conferences around the UK and held our sixth annual back to school commissioning event for Christians working in education.
5. Hearing stories of transformation and hope come into broken situations through caring and creative work undertaken by Christians in schools around the UK.
Here are 5 things we are looking forward to in the new year:
1. Dare2Engage (developing resources for 16-19s) will be part of schoolswork UK as of January 2015. More news in the new year about this,
2. Three new resources are in the design and development phase to be launched in the spring term.
3. More collaborations with other Youthscape projects and partnerships with other organisations that are already forming.
4. A new shiny website coming later on in 2015, sharing new up to date resources and a whole bunch of things we're excited about.
5. Growth of the Enable course in other areas of the UK to allow greater access to what is a much needed and valued qualification by schools.
Potential dilemma with a solution for you: If you started listening to the song above, I'm guessing the music is still playing and we have nearly reached the end of this blog post. To fully enjoy this song (it builds and gets better so we think you'll want to hear it), why not stay on this page, take a moment now to reflect on just a couple of your highlights from 2014 and then some things you're looking forward to in 2015. If you like you can share some of them with us in the comments below, we'd love to hear them.
Happy Christmas and see you in 2015!
schoolswork UK Project Director
If you would like to read more about Youthscape and the local and national projects that make up the charity, you can see our new website and shop here: www.youthscape.co.uk